Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Hunger Games

First of all, I want to welcome you to A Book Addict’s Pastime. That’s what I do. Read, read, read, read... though I do have a life. You can call me M, MC, or whatever you want. This is for you!

Review on: The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collinshunger gaems
Appropriate for: Ages 12 & up
Overall Starred Review: 
4 and a  half

Critical Review:

[Back cover]
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them to all send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.
Katniss Everdeen takes the place of her sister in the Games- almost a certain death sentence. But Katniss has survived before- and she plans to again”

I had to shorten that up a bit. But that’s basically what it’s about.
Now, my initial perception of this books was, This is crap. This is crap. This is crap. I said, no, I’m not gonna buy this, but then, as a joke between my friends and I, I said, “Hey, Pao, I got the Catnip book!” [That’s what Katniss’ name sounded like to me] and then I read it. And I fell in love with it. I read all three books in a two-week span.

The thing about the Hunger Games is that it’s really unique, forceful… just wonderful. Suzanne Collins, author of this series has exceeded my expectations. I would definitely recommend it to everyone I know.

I loved that the book is is the present tense. First person is nice, but my favorite is third person. It was flawlessly paced throughout.

But, then there’s the negatives.

Katniss, to me, is kind of, sort of, a Mary Sue. Her name, first. Katniss? Makes you question it, almost. She’s like, an archery legend. She provides for her family. She takes her sister’s place in the Games. Should I tell you what happens? In the Games, it’s an arena, undefined and unknown to people other than the Gamemakers, the controllers of the Games. The teens have to kill one another in order to, of course, survive. At first, I thought it was hand-to-hand combat, in between two people, and they were going in turns and such, but I was wrong. They’re all supposed to kill each other. And, only one victor must emerge. But, oh, wait. Katniss’ district partner, the boy, Peeta Mellark, is elected to participate. Can you figure this one out?
Also, Katniss’s best friend, Gale, a highly coveted Seam guy by other girls, who is, needless to say, two years older, has a thing for Katniss. So does Peeta.

I’m not gonna tell you any more things, because you’ll just figure it out for yourself.

And I’m not just talking about Katniss. All of the characters have some type of Mary-Sue moment.

Overall, except that one slight Mary Sue issue, the novels are exquisite. I loved them! I was so sad when I turned the last page of Mockingjay. I almost shed a tear.

Despite my semi-critical review above, you must buy and read the HG. NOW! I never find enough fans to share my craze with.

Leave your feedback. Here always,
-M

P.S- If you have a book you’d like me to review, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment