Thursday, April 28, 2011

Review: Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn

Review for: Distant Waves by Suzanne Weyn   Distant Waves
Appropriate for: YA
Warnings: Paranormal
Buy: Borders/ Amazon
Goodreads: Click
Overall Starred Rating:
3/5

Synopsis:
Science, spiritualism, history, and romance intertwine in Suzanne Weyn's newest novel. Four sisters and their mother make their way from a spiritualist town in New York to London, becoming acquainted with journalist W. T. Stead, scientist Nikola Tesla, and industrialist John Jacob Astor. When they all find themselves on the Titanic, one of Tesla's inventions dooms them...and one could save them.

Review:
Suzanne Weyn’s Distant Waves was a read that by only looking at “a novel of the Titanic” had me hooked. As I have mentioned before, I am a HUGE Titanic fan. I’m sorry to say, though, that the book let me down.

The things I liked: I loved the setting. I loved everything about Sprit Vale; the people, its concept, everything. It was a good storyline, and it does have its good gripping twists.

The things I didn’t like: Characters. I felt like most of the characters weren’t developed enough that I could describe each and every one and tell you what they were like. For example, Thad. Way undeveloped. So was Jane, the narrator. That really pissed me off. The next thing I didn’t like was that it said “A novel of the Titanic”. Yes, that is what led me to read the book in the first place, but the actual Titanic doesn’t come in till the last chapters of the story. Everything else, much to my dismay, was just a retelling of Jane’s past. That really bothered me deeply.

Anyway, it’s a quick read, not really all that amazing, forgettable, even though I enjoyed it.

enjoy! -M

No comments:

Post a Comment