Sunday, April 10, 2011

Review: The Time Traveling Fashionista

 

Review on: The Time Traveling Fashionista, by Bianca Turetskythe time traveling fashionista  
Appropriate for: YA, 11+
Overall Starred Rating:
Five Stars

 

Synopsis:

When Louise Lambert receives a mysterious invitation to a traveling vintage fashion sale in the mail, her normal life in suburban Connecticut is magically transformed into a time traveling adventure.
After a brief encounter with two witchy salesladies and donning an evening gown that once belonged to a beautiful silent film star, Louise suddenly finds herself onboard a luxurious cruise ship in 1912. As Alice Baxter, the silent film star, Louise enjoys her access to an extensive closet of gorgeous vintage gowns and begins to get a feel for the challenges and the glamour of life during this decadent era. Until she realizes that she's not just on any ship -- she's on the Titanic!
Will Louise be able to save herself and change the course of history, or are she and her film star alter ego, destined to go down with a sinking ship in the most infamous sea disaster of the 20th century?

Review:

I stumbled upon this great book yesterday at Borders, not really knowing what to expect. Since I don’t really read girly, cute fiction, I was skeptical. Initially, I bought it for my friend Paola, who is a fashionista, and was planning to give it to her on Monday. Little did I know that this book was going to exceed everything I expected.

The Time Traveling Fashionista tells the story of Louise Lambert, a twelve- year- old middleschooler who is enamored by vintage clothing. She only wears vintage. When looking for a sale for a dress for a dance, she receives the flyer, and everything changes.

Once she arrives to the sale, she finds the dress- the perfect one. As she tries it on, she is transported but nowhere else than the Titanic!

She takes the form of Alice Baxter, and is intrigued by the first class living. She doesn’t quite realize at the beginning she’s on the most doomed ship in history- but when she does, everything turns upside down.

In this light, historic read, you’ll find yourself wondering whether Louise will be able to save herself and Anna, her maid and friend.

The characters in this novel were simply lovely- I adored Louise and Anna! They were relatable characters that made an interesting duo. Louise has black, frizzy hair, and has glasses and wears braces. Anna is just her maid onboard the Titanic- but Louise instantly befriends her.

The setting- ohmygawd Turetsky could have not picked a better setting to please me. For every die-hard fan of a good Titanic story, aka yours truly, this was ah. may. zing. I adore everything and anything having to do with the Titanic- feel free to corroborate that with my friends. What made it even better is that I didn’t know at first she was going on the Titanic! So when I realized, I was flabbergasted! I could not put it down. Turetsky’s use of description and details really electrified the feel- I really could see myself on the Titanic with the characters!

Overall, this light, fun read will lift your spirits up; and if you’re a fan of the Titanic—this is a must read.

I hope you all pick this one up!

- Maria

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I got this book from the library only this week. I'm intrigued by anything that has the word time travel on it. I'm very excited to read it now.

    ReplyDelete