Monday, May 23, 2011

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

Review for: If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Category: YA
Warnings: Strong themes
Buy: Amazon/ Goodreads
Find the Author: Click

 If I Stay

Synopsis:

On a day that started like any other…
Mia had everything: a loving family, a gorgeous, adoring boyfriend, and a bright future full of music and full of choices. Then, in an instant, almost all of that is taken from her. Caught between life and death, between a happy past and an unknowable future, Mia spends one critical day contemplating the one decision she has left—the most important decision she’ll ever make.
Simultaneously tragic and hopeful, this is a romantic, riveting and ultimately uplifting story about memory, music, living, dying, loving.

Review:

If I Stay tells a story in the perspective of seventeen-year-old Mia, who is involved in a tragedy along with her family. When she wakes up in a hospital alone, she knows something is not right.

I’m not much of a crier, and naturally, I did not cry in this story. Well, I did cry, but on the inside. It is such a beautiful story, so many emotional parts… oh my gosh… lovely.
The characters were written out beautifully. Their personalities bounced off the page and made their way to my heart. I could feel Mia’s pain, her memories so lucid, everything just so wonderful. I couldn’t help but just adore all of the characters. SO. adorable. Especially Mia’s brother, Teddy. And Adam, Mia’s boyfriend,  is amazing, too.

Forman does not use unnecessary description, which I find okay, I’m not against it nor I favor it. I guess it doesn’t matter that much, but I have  a thing for grammar and description, but again, it was okay.
I loved how the entire story takes place in one entire day. It’s just Mia’s reflections on her past and what is happening in her present, and how that is going to affect her future.

The main thing Mia does is analyze everything that is happening around her and what has happened to her already. It’s a book going from flashback to present.

All in all, I loved this book. So. Much.

~I give it 4.5/5 stars.~
TOTALLY going into my favorites shelf.
have you read this book? have any thoughts on it? don’t hesitate to let me know with a comment! *hint hint*.
enjoy! ~m

2 comments:

  1. I actually didn't like this book as much but I can't deny that it was very emotional. I didn't connect with the characters very well. Either way, you wrote a nice review. :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the characters were a really a huge part of what made this book for me. Great review! :) I hope you end up liking Where She Went just as much as this one.

    ReplyDelete