Monday, May 2, 2011

Review: The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell

Review on: The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell    the carrie diaries
Appropriate for: YA, 13+
Warnings: Sexual references and material
Buy: Amazon/ Borders
Goodreads: Click
Overall Starred Rating:
4/5

Summary:
The Carrie Diaries is the coming-of-age story of one of the most iconic characters of our generation.

Before Sex and the City, Carrie Bradshaw was a small town girl who knew she wanted more. She’s ready for real life to start, but first she must navigate her senior year of high school. Up until now, Carrie and her friends have been inseparable. Then Sebastian Kydd comes into the picture, and a friend’s betrayal makes her question everything.

With an unforgettable cast of characters, The Carrie Diaries is the story of how a regular girl learns to think for herself, and evolves into a sharp, insightful writer. Readers will learn about her family background, how she found her writing voice, and the indelible impression her early friendships and relationships left on her. Through adventures both audacious and poignant, we’ll see what brings Carrie to her beloved New York City, where her new life begins.

Review:
In The Carrie Diaries stars Carrie Bradshaw, star of the hit books and show Sex and the City. Carrie is a natural born writer and that’s what she wants to do for the rest of her life.

She has a tight pack of friends, and one bad decision makes her world turn upside down.

In this funny, coming-of-age tale, we meet Carrie before S&tC.

I’m not usually a fan of chick lit, but I really liked this one. It was full of humor and quirkiness. I really liked that I could relate to Carrie, instead of  looking at her like just another character from another book.

The book itself was good. I’m not a big drama llama, so all the drama occurring throughout the book made me annoyed. Especially Lali. She just made me crazy!

On the other hand, I loved Walt and the Mouse. They’re such fun, adorable characters! Absolutely adore them. I didn’t quite like Lali and Sebastian that much. Of course, throughout the book that becomes obvious. I also wasn’t too crazy about George, but he was a sweet kid :}.

I can also relate to Carrie when it comes to her feelings about becoming a writer and getting out of her small town of Castlebury into the glamorous 80’s NYC.  

For character development, I give Ms. Bushnell an 8/10, for setting 9/10, and for overall plot, a 7.5/10.

For cover, 8.5/10.

‘Cause it’s a pretty good damn cover.

Enjoy! -M

2 comments:

  1. I adored this book for some reason. Admittingly, I'm not a huge fan of Sex in the City but this book was wonderful for me. I'm looking forward to Summer in the City. :)

    Zombies are for May!  Morbid Romantica Challenge links are up for Zombies along with a few book ideas.  Some I myself will be trying out! Stop by and let me know which Zombie book I should be reading!

    Mad Scientist
    Steampunkery & Book Reviews
    For The L♥ve of Reading

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Mad Scientist I'm really looking forward to it, too! It's next on my reading pile, and I can't wait! :D

    As for zombies... hmm... have you tried Pride & Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith? It's a whole series, I believe. You should also try Zombies vs. Unicorns. It's a really awesome anthology having to do with, well, zombies and unicorns. :D
    Thanks for stopping by! -M

    ReplyDelete