Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Review: Summer & the City by Candace Bushnell

Review for: Summer & the City  by Candace Bushnell
Category: YA
Warnings: Some sexual content and language
Buy: Amazon/ Goodreads
Find the author: Click

summer and the city
Summary:
Summer is a magical time in New York City and Carrie is in love with all of it—the crazy characters in her neighborhood, the vintage-clothing boutiques, the wild parties, and the glamorous man who has swept her off her feet. Best of all, she’s finally in a real writing class, taking her first steps toward fulfilling her dream.
This sequel to THE CARRIE DIARIES brings surprising revelations as Carrie learns to navigate her way around the Big Apple, going from being a country “sparrow”-- as Samantha Jones dubs her-- to the person she always wanted to be. But as it becomes increasingly difficult to reconcile her past with her future, Carrie realizes that making it in New York is much more complicated than she ever imagined. 

With her signature wit and sparkling humor, Candace Bushnell reveals the irresistible story of how Carrie met Samantha and Miranda, and what turned a small-town girl into one of the New York City’s most unforgettable icons, Carrie Bradshaw.



Review:
In this hilarious sequel to the Carrie Diaries, we can see Carrie going through some coming-of-age rituals- that are quite laugh-out-loud funny.
When she gets to New York, things already begin badly. But then everything changes when she meets the right people, as well as the wrong ones.
Overall, I loved this book. A lot. I liked it even more than its prequel! We can see how Carrie’s attitude about her future has its ups and downs, and how she overcomes it as she realizes that she’s in New York, and she’s in a world of possibilities, but so much that she can get lost in the crowd.
The characters in this novel were fleshed out beautifully. You can totally see them in the page, imagine everything they’re saying right in front of you. It’s like Bushnell’s words fly right off the page. I also thought that 80’s NY was depicted quite nicely and realistic, not sugar-coating anything about what real-life students who are starting out in the scene. One of the things I liked most about this book was that I could feel what the characters were feeling. I could feel their sadness, despair, happiness, confusion… in all, I just went at exactly the same pace as them, and turned out to discover the same things as them.
The ending left me smiling, because I absolutely loved this novel, and I was sad to see it end, but at the same time, I was glad that I didn’t wait any longer to read it, because I might have regretted it later.
I give Ms. Bushnell an overall A+. Job well done.
You should go get this book. Like right now.
Do you have any thoughts on this book? I’d love to hear them!
enjoy! -M

No comments:

Post a Comment