Monday, June 6, 2011

Review: Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Category: YA Satire
Warnings: Violence, Sexual references
Buy: Amazon
Find the Author: Click
Beauty queens

Summary:
From bestselling, Printz Award-winning author Libba Bray, the story of a plane of beauty pageant contestants that crashes on a desert island.
Teen beauty queens. A "Lost"-like island. Mysteries and dangers. No access to email. And the spirit of fierce, feral competition that lives underground in girls, a savage brutality that can only be revealed by a journey into the heart of non-exfoliated darkness. Oh, the horror, the horror! Only funnier. With evening gowns. And a body count.
Review:
Beauty Queens is hard to describe. It centers around beauty pageant contestants that are on a plane crash and afterward are stuck in a remote island. It’s about their survival… and some things that I’m not allowed to spoil for you.

There are many things I want to regard about this book, so let’s begin with characters. They were great, amazing, wonderful. This was written a satire, and it stayed a satire, thanks to the hilarious characters from whose point of view this story is written. My favorite character was Tiara. Hands down. I just loved her. And I loved Taylor because even though she was a stereotypical beauty pageant contestant, her story shined through. Each and every one of them is what made the book what it is. At the end of the story, I came to love each and every one of them, for who they are, for their flaws, and for their courage.

Second, I want to regard the setting, which was marvelous as well. The island felt painfully real to me, as if I were in the island, too. It was plotted and thought through very well.

Third, the plot. I found it very intriguing and unique. It’s most definitely not something you see every day on the YA bookshelf. And that is what makes it so special, so different, but in such a magnificent and real way.
This book had its serious, heartfelt, and honest scenes. The entirety of the book was hilarity at its best, and I laughed in every commercial break, because they are true, they resemble products and tones that are used in real life. And that is what makes them so funny.

The cover. I really like it. I love the lipstick battle sash, and how the girl in the picture is just like I pictured Taylor Rene Krystal Hawkins. Overall really awesome.

And last, but most certainly not least, the writing. Oh, how good. It’s awesome. I hadn’t read anything by Libba before, so this was an unexpectedly good surprise. I still have a copy of Rebel Angels on my shelf, and I think I’ll have to read it soon. Libba’s writing was enchanting, mesmerizing, in a way that envelops you in the story, you are glued to the page, you are there with the characters. This lady has got talent.

~~My favorite Agent Jones quotes ~~
Serape means ‘cape’!” A grinning Agent Jones burst into the room wearing only a fig leaf. He threw his arms into the air and stretched his fingers into peace signs. “We are all beautiful star flowers!” {p. 364} 

“Agent Jones is gone. I am Man Flower.” {p.364} 

“Agent Jones frowned. “Men have feelings, too. You bruised the petals of my man flower.” {p.367}
~~
Like I said, hilarity at its best.
Scores:
Plot: 5/5
Characters: 4.5/5
Writing: 5/5
Cover: 4/5
have any thoughts on this book? let me know!
enjoy! -m

No comments:

Post a Comment