Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Review: Heist Society by Ally Carter

Category: YA
Warnings: Violence, Stealing.
Buy: Amazon
Find the Author: Click


Summary:
When Katarina Bishop was three, her parents took her to the Louvre...to case it. For her seventh birthday, Katarina and her Uncle Eddie traveled to Austria...to steal the crown jewels. When Kat turned fifteen, she planned a con of her own—scamming her way into the best boarding school in the country, determined to leave the family business behind. Unfortunately, leaving "the life" for a normal life proves harder than she'd expected.
Soon, Kat's friend and former co-conspirator, Hale, appears out of nowhere to bring her back into the world she tried so hard to escape. But he has good reason: a powerful mobster's art collection has been stolen, and he wants it returned. Only a master thief could have pulled this job, and Kat’s father isn’t just on the suspect list, he is the list. Caught between Interpol and a far more deadly enemy, Kat’s dad needs her help.
For Kat there is only one solution: track down the paintings and steal them back. So what if it’s a spectacularly impossible job? She’s got two weeks, a teenage crew, and hopefully just enough talent to pull off the biggest heist in her family’s (very crooked) history—and, with any luck, steal her life back along the way.
Review:
I’ve been wanting to read this book for ages. My best friend had already read it and loved it, so she lent it to me. It had been on my bookshelf for about three months, since I was busy reading other books. But with its sequel release approaching, I decided, why not read it now?

Heist Society tells the story of Kat Bishop, a girl born into the thieving world. She goes to boarding school for three months, but is taken out, because she just got the biggest job of her life. And she must rob one of the world’s most protected museums- in fourteen days.

I really enjoyed the overall plot for this book. It was interesting and fun to read. It kept you at the edge of your seat, wanting to know what happened next. I read the book in two sittings. I could not put it down! It was great.

The characters were very appealing to me. Kat was someone who was easily relatable. She had to go through some unusual things, but her story still kept real. I have to say my favorites were Hale, Angus, and Hamish. They were all so hilarious! This novel definitely featured a cast of unforgettable and funny characters.

I hadn’t read a book by Ally Carter before this one, and I must say I really like her writing! It flowed throughout, without causing any major confusion, and everything was depicted beautifully. Bravo, Ms. Carter!
 
The cover is attractive, mainly because it features the missing painting on the left lens of the sunglasses, and the actual painting on the right lens. I really like the font, and the overall design. I think it’s very original and cute. Not bad!

Scores:
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Writing 4/5
Cover: 3.5/5


have you read heist society? are you excited for the sequel as much as i am? let me know in the comments below!
enjoy! -m

1 comment:

  1. OMG! LOVE Heist Society! Have you ever read the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter? So amazing!

    Following your blog, I think it's lovely <3

    ReplyDelete