Friday, July 29, 2011

Review: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


(Make sure to read the PS)
Category: YA
Warnings: Sexual content.
Buy: B&N
Find the Author: Not available.
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Summary:
Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it, Charlie is navigating through the strange worlds of love, drugs, "The Rocky Horror Picture Show", and dealing with the loss of a good friend and his favorite aunt.









Review:
I read this book a few weeks ago. It’s absolutely amazing. It’s honestly one of my favorite books. How Charlie is able to speak in such an informal manner yet captivate the senses is mystifying.
Perks tells us the story of Charlie, a very insecure teenager starting out in high school with virtually no friends. He interprets the world differently from most people, but he does it in a way that audiences of every day and age are able to understand effortlessly.

The story is composed of different letters to a person Charlie refers to “friend”. We don’t exactly know who he is mailing these letters to, or who this person is, but Charlie decided to trust him/her with his secrets.
Let’s just talk about the characters here for a second. One word: Brilliant. Charlie, as mentioned, I found that he narrates in the simplest of ways, yet does not fail to convey deep thoughts into his words. And he’s just a very flawed person, who is confused about his life and just everything that’s going on around and inside him.
I also loved the secondary characters, which are Sam and Patrick, or “Nothing”. These characters, as relevant they were to the story, were very real people, three dimensional with good and bad sides, which I absolutely adored.

Overall, I loved this book so much. I can’t begin to describe.

5/5.

Enjoy!-M

PS: Hello! It’s hard to believe that I haven’t reviewed anything in 2 months. I know, I know, I’ve been slacking off. I promise to start again.

There’s just a lot of things going on in my personal life right now, so it’s making it harder to read with everything swimming in my head and I just can’t concentrate well.

I’ll see you Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment