Monday, September 26, 2011

Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry + news

Category: YA
Warnings: None
Buy: B&N
Find the Author: click



Summary:

Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.





Review:
I was assigned this book as a summer reading. I’d heard a bit about it, but didn’t exactly pay much attention to it.

My thoughts on the opening chapters of the book were that they progressed quite slowly, which I disliked. The society on which this community lives in is quite dull and even, where everything is fool-proof and mistake-proof.

However, this society has some interesting and unique elements. The community leaves by very clear and strict laws which every citizen must follow, and once three of these rules are broken, they are Released- banished from their community forever.

But where do they go? What is Elsewhere? Where is it? That is what the Giver is about. And that is what makes it so interesting.

The characters in this novel flowed very nicely and were three dimensional. Jonas had his flaws and his virtues, and so did everyone. The Giver, I find, is the most interesting character. He is very wise, knowing, caring, and loving. He has experienced love in a way that no one has, and that makes him special.

Overall, this book had me turning page after page in fascination. The plot made me want to read it that much faster, the pace of the events captivating my senses. It is absolutely astounding.


PS- Hello! It’s been more than a month since I updated, but I’ve been ridiculously busy with school and other personal stuff. I don’t know if I will be able to upload reviews as often, but I will be updating, for sure.

Love, -M

No comments:

Post a Comment