Monday, October 31, 2011

Review: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Category: YA
Warnings: Some violence and sexual scenes.
Buy: Amazon
Find the Author: Here

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer Summary:

Mara Dyer doesn't think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.

It can.

She believes there must be more to the accident she can't remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.

There is.

She doesn't believe that after everything she's been through, she can fall in love.
She's wrong.




Review:
Mara Dyer wakes up in a hospital not knowing what happened. An accident killed her friends. She is alive. That’s all she knows. Bizarre things start to happen that may lead her to discover strange new things about herself and the others around her.

From beginning to end, Mara Dyer kept me guessing. It’s the kind of book that turns your attention to one thing while another, seemingly less important detail unravels and you are suddenly stunned when you come to discover that that minute detail turns into into another huge complication.

The characters were beautifully unraveled. Mara is the type of person that has a very strong mindset, very determined. She knows what she wants, yet she is confused about the things that are happening to her, around her. Noah, on the other hand, is the asshole you can’t help but love. I kept laughing throughout the book at his snarky remarks and overall I-just-don’t-care attitude. The one thing I loved about him was that he cared a lot when he needed to. It upset me that Jamie, an awesome character who I grew to love, wasn't given much attention after about the middle of the book.

The plot overall was great. I loved the concept and I loved the execution. The unfolding of events was done masterfully. I absolutely became consumed with it.

The one thing that sort of set me off was the continuous mention of Noah’s beauty. It got a bit annoying at times. Other than that, I didn’t find any defining flaws.

This funny, mysterious book will keep you wanting more well after the last page.

PS: HAPPY HALLOWEEN! 

No comments:

Post a Comment