Monday, June 2, 2014

Review: Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan Matson


Review: Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour by Morgan MatsonGenre: YA
Warnings: Some mature themes
Buy: Amazon



Summary: Amy Curry thinks her life sucks. Her mom decides to move from California to Connecticut to start anew--just in time for Amy's senior year. Her dad recently died in a car accident. So Amy embarks on a road trip to escape from it all, driving cross-country from the home she's always known toward her new life. Joining Amy on the road trip is Roger, the son of Amy's mother's old friend. Amy hasn’t seen him in years, and she is less than thrilled to be driving across the country with a guy she barely knows. So she's surprised to find that she is developing a crush on him. At the same time, she’s coming to terms with her father’s death and how to put her own life back together after the accident. Told in traditional narrative as well as scraps from the road--diner napkins, motel receipts, postcards--this is the story of one girl's journey to find herself.

Review:
Before picking this book up, I’d been in a huge reading slump that had lasted months. I bought this book almost three years ago, right after its release, and I was really excited to get to it, but I never did. One day I decided that I needed to get back in the game and I picked it up from my stack of unread books and I was absolutely blown away! I read this book in one sitting and it was incredibly hard to put down. The story follows a girl named Amy Curry who’s moving cross-country from California to Connecticut, and it’s her job to drive the car from point A to point B. With her goes Roger, and a very unique relationship sparks between them. I found myself rooting for them from the first page to the very last, and it was a book that made me genuinely happy. The characters are completely fantastic, whole and rounded in every sense; the setting was palpably real with the aid of the photos and playlist that were included between the pages of prose; and to make it even better, the author actually took this road trip! She visited the places that Amy and Roger visit in the book, and I think that’s one of the things that makes this book so good. I feel terrible about having left this one in the pile for three years, and I owe it to Ms. Matson for getting me out of my reading slump and into the reading world again.
I gave this book a 4.5/5 stars on goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment