Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green


Review: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
Genre: YA
Warnings: Mature themes
Buy: Amazon


Summary: Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten.
Insightful, bold, irreverent, and raw, The Fault in Our Stars is award-winning-author John Green’s most ambitious and heartbreaking work yet, brilliantly exploring the funny, thrilling, and tragic business of being alive and in love.

Review:
I read this book when it first came out more than two years ago and was stunned to see that I’d never written a review on it, and with the movie coming out, I decided that it was about time. As I’m sure most of you are aware of, the story follows the narrative of 16-year-old Hazel Grace Lancaster, a cancer patient forced by her mother to attend a cancer support group, in which she meets Augustus Waters, a lively guy with whom she has the adventure of a lifetime.
This is a beautiful, heartwrenching, and achingly-true story of finding the light in the darkest times. I always appreciated Hazel’s witty commentary and thoughtful insight, which got me through most of the story. What I liked about Augustus was that he was supposed to be pretentious and supposed to have ridiculously poetic dialogue, and he really was pretentious and somewhat of an asshole but that’s what made him, him, and I appreciate that. I absolutely adored Isaac and his story, and overall, the characters pretty much make this book the phenomenon it is. I’ve always loved John Green’s books, and this is right up there with my favorites of his.
Overall, I think that the setting and characters intertwine in a fantastic way to create one of the best books of the past years. The hype surrounding the book is more than well-deserved, and I really hope that those who enjoy the movie might find that they enjoy the book just as much, if not more.
I gave this book 5/5 stars on goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment