Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Review: Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano


Review: Perfect Ruin by Lauren DeStefano
Genre: YA
Warnings: Some mature themes
Buy: Amazon



Summary: Morgan Stockhour knows getting too close to the edge of Internment, the floating city in the clouds where she lives, can lead to madness. Even though her older brother, Lex, was a Jumper, Morgan vows never to end up like him. If she ever wonders about the ground, and why it is forbidden, she takes solace in her best friend, Pen, and in Basil, the boy she’s engaged to marry.
Then a murder, the first in a generation, rocks the city. With whispers swirling and fear on the wind, Morgan can no longer stop herself from investigating, especially once she meets Judas. Betrothed to the victim, he is the boy being blamed for the murder, but Morgan is convinced of his innocence. Secrets lay at the heart of Internment, but nothing can prepare Morgan for what she will find—or whom she will lose.


Review:
Lauren DeStefano’s newest novel is a fantastic, fantastic read. I picked this up as soon as it came out and I could hardly put it down. I’ve read DeStefano’s The Chemical Garden trilogy and loved it, and was definitely not let down by her new material. Perfect Ruin tells the story of Morgan Stockhour and her life on Internment, a city perched in between the clouds. She’s always been told to stay away from the edge—it drives people insane. But there’s a lot of mystery surrounding Internment, and the plot quickly unfolds to reveal that everything is definitely not what it seems.
I’m always astounded by DeStefano’s ability with words because she can take an ordinary object and describe it in beautiful detail. Such was the case with this entire book. Her writing makes for effortless and smooth reading that fails to bore, and as always, her amazing writing is accompanied by a set of fantastic characters that give life to the prose. The plot always kept me on the edge of my seat and when I was away from the book I was left wondering what would happen next. I can’t wait for the sequel, Burning Kingdoms, which is coming out in 2015. Lauren DeStefano has never let me down, and I doubt she ever will.
I gave this book 4/5 stars on goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment