Monday, August 4, 2014

Review: Six Strings by Jen Sanya Williamson


Review: Six Strings by Jen Sanya Williamson
Genre: YA
Warnings: None
Buy:
Amazon

Summary: Riley Witt is running out of time. Battling Alzheimer’s disease, Riley’s grandmother Mary suffers from memory loss, mood swings, and a tendency to wander off. As senior year approaches, Riley has to face the reality that the one person she depends on most is slowly fading. Making matters worse, when Mary does remember the past, she tells tales of time travel and visions. As Mary’s version of the past gets more confused, Riley knows they are running out of time together. But when Riley discovers a guitar belonging to a famous rock star at Mary’s house, the truth behind the crazy tales finally comes out. SIX STRINGS tells the story of Riley’s journey back to 1973 where she enters a world of music, long-lost family, and first love. Her adventure is all about discovering her past, understanding her present, and figuring out how to step into her future.

Review:

If it hadn’t been brought to my attention, I probably would’ve never found this book. Before I read it, I hadn’t heard much about it, but the premise still intrigued me. Time travel stories can be really good! The book follows Riley, a rising senior who has to deal with her grandmother’s advancing Alzheimer’s. But in her moments of lucidity, she tells Riley about time travel. It’s her figuring all this new information out and discovering secrets and battling demons, all while still managing to fit a little lovin’ in the process.

This is a super quick read, as the page count only tallies up to ~215 pages. But it feels like much less than that because it’s very fast paced and fun. The author did a really great job in condensing the story to a point in which there was little to no fluff—this story got right to the thick of it. The whole time you’re reading you keep guessing what’s gonna happen or how things are going to turn out for the characters. The world was very nicely fleshed out and didn’t leave gaps for me: it was nice and solid. The music aspect in the story was something new to me, since I’m not much of an instrument player, myself. However, despite that difference, I found it easy to like and connect with all the characters in the story. (Also, who wouldn’t want a Lucas in their life?)

This is one of those fast reads that you can fly through and that leave you feeling nice and warm inside. Since this is volume one, I’m sure that the upcoming volumes will be just as promising. If you’re looking for a different but still feel-good contemporary, you should check this out!

I gave this book 3.75/5 stars on goodreads

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment